Monday, December 9, 2013

We're Still Here!


It's recently been brought to my attention that this blog has been left in neglect for the past month. So, thanks for caring and sorry for my slacking. This happens every year - I think that once I get past the birthday and Halloween craziness of October, things will slow down. Ha! This stupid cute little bear was one of my first stressors in November.


Each student in Brooke's class gets to take "Preschool Bear" home with them for a couple of nights. They're supposed to take the bear with them everywhere they go, then bring pictures and present to the class what they did. It sounds like a cute idea, but at this age, it's basically homework for the parents.

To begin with, we were the FIRST family on the list and were going to be out of town until the day before. And it's up to the parents to switch dates. Using the phone list that they gave us with no emails and virtually no cell phone numbers. Since I know 2 moms in the class, I got to cold call a few people, "Hi, you don't know me, but could you take the Preschool Bear home NEXT WEEK instead of us? I'm sure it's going to be tons of fun and no pressure." Then I got smart and looked for the numbers without DuPage County area codes, figuring they had to be cell numbers. I lucked out and one of the girls had the cell numbers of three other girls, one of whom miraculously needed to switch also.


So do you see why I was ready to burn the bear the minute I pulled it out of her school bag? Then, I read the instructions that say to print "A picture or two if you'd like." And of course the mom before me (the one who, bless her soul and in her defense, had switched with me) printed out FOUR pictures. Of really cool stuff that they did.


Luckily for us, Wednesdays are busy. We got pictures of Brooke on her first day of speech class (for articulation - we're not grooming her to be a world leader quite yet), at Target (naturally), at soccer, and at lunch with Matt. We also had a play date with Aurelia, another friend from school and Zach and Wes in that time. But we went to McDonald's with Zach and Wes, so I didn't dare put that photo in the book to be judged for years to come.


Brooke did have a lot of fun with bringing the bear everywhere and was really sad when she had to give it back. (I did a happy dance.) The highlight of the experience was that Matt and I got to spend the morning with Brooke in her classroom. She also got to bring in one of her favorite books ("Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad"). I had to talk her down from bringing the "Disney Princess Fairytale Library" - we only had 10 minutes. And the class is half boys.


It was really fun to see her in her element and to be reassured that she's at a wonderful preschool with great teachers. (Special thanks to Kristina for watching Miles while I was there.)


And as Matt reminded me, it was a good lesson for me that if I got this stressed over what is her first of what will be thousands of school projects, I'm really going to have to let go a little ton or risk becoming the Worst Helicopter Parent Ever. And let's be honest, I have it in me. Thank God for his grace!


No comments:

Post a Comment