Thursday, May 30, 2013

Before I Forget...


Miles is 14 months old today, so I thought I'd give some quick updates. I feel like things are really starting to click for him, just in the last couple of weeks. He definitely has "Mama" down and has quickly learned how to use it to his advantage. Melt my heart. He also has approximations for several other words, including "mah" for more, "ees" for cheers, and "ba" for bonk (what we say when he falls or bumps himself - a game that he finds pretty funny). His main mode of communication continues to be grunting and pointing, though. I really need to get a video of it, but the song, "Ceiling Can't Hold Us" makes him dance almost every time.

 

Right now he really seems to be into buttons and switches. He also likes trucks, cars and planes. It's so funny to see the boy/girl differences. He likes to pretend to brush his hair, use a ponytail holder (an effect of getting ready with 2 girls every morning), and put on hats. When it comes to eating, he's a garbage disposal and not picky.


He's really enjoying "walking" while holding someone's hand. One of his favorite people to practice this with is Grandpa. He's pulling up all over the place and his standing balance is getting pretty good. (Brooke was almost 18 months when she walked, so for our kids this is advanced.) He's doing the standard crawl most of the time now. He LOVES stairs (though he hasn't quite mastered getting down them) and getting into cabinets and drawers, especially the ones that he isn't supposed to get into.


He's still taking a morning nap when we're home (about half the time) and naps for several hours in the afternoon. He usually sleeps about 12 hours (7:30-7:30) at night. He had another ear infection last week, poor guy, but is still very happy and content, especially if I'm holding him. He's getting more and more compliments on his tan complexion and his curls. I really could eat him up.


And while I'm giving an update, Brooke has also said and done some pretty cute things lately. She's gotten so observant and anytime I sound remotely upset, she'll ask what's wrong and what I'm talking about.

Jamie and I went for another run on Monday and she wanted to "run" with us again when we got back. We walked in the door and she greeted us at the door and yelled upstairs, "Daddy, Miles, we'll be back in a little while. We're going to run 20 miles!" If only 20 miles were that easy...

She's getting pretty independent at dressing, but still needs help putting her shirt on. I was reassuring her that this was okay and she said, "I'll probably do it when I'm 14 or something." Let's hope it's a little sooner than that, kiddo...

The other day, we were heading to meet Matt for lunch and she asked if I was going to have wine or water to drink. I laughed and she added, "Or coffee?" Then, when I asked her what she thought Matt would drink, she said, "Soda or beer." Yikes.

She's also pooping on the potty about half the time now (you know you care) - thanks in large part to not napping as much. Speaking of, she's also getting the hang of entertaining herself during "quiet time".


Matt also introduced her to Kiddie Cocktails and she's hooked. Maybe I should have titled this post "Drinking with the Alleys."


I'm probably a little biased, but I've got some pretty great kids (I say as they enter hour 2 of napping...).

2 comments:

  1. Miles looks so old in the first picture! He's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His mouth full of teeth definitely contributes to his looking older. He's kind of like a vampire baby.

      Delete