Sunday, June 6, 2010

The "Little" Things


I like to think that working in a preschool with children with special needs, I'm able to appreciate Brooke's health and typical development. But when my dad recently told me about this video, I realized how much I still take for granted. While I thank God every day for Brooke's health, I don't know that I fully appreciate the "little" things - which are actually big things - like her being able to see and hear us.


There's nothing quite like the response that you get from a baby who recognizes you. I felt this for the first time with my niece, Alexis, and it's multiplied by about a jillion with Brooke. It makes me not so exasperated that Brooke is at the stage when someone else is holding her and she cries when she hears my voice (because she wants to be with me, not because she's scared of me -haha). It also makes me SO thankful that we live in a time and a place where medical advances like cochlear implants are possible. I'll leave you with a shot of my adorable niece on the beach last week. I'll post about that great trip later.

No comments:

Post a Comment