In January, I mentioned to Matt that I'd always been interested in running a half-marathon and that this might be a good year for it. Being the go-getter that he is, he hopped online that week and found a list of half-marathons in our area. The one with the best timing and proximity seemed to be the North Shore Half-Marathon taking place June 13. So, in February, we signed ourselves up.
The training itself was pretty time-consuming. Basically, three nights a week, I would hand Brooke off to Matt as soon as he got home and head off to run. Then, when I got back, he'd hand her off to me. One of our weekend mornings would also be pretty much gone due to the long runs. It made for some late dinners and busy weekends, but we're both really glad we did it. We got very lucky that we did most of our training in mild weather. And the weather on the day of the race? PERFECT. Cloudy in the mid to upper 60's. I probably wouldn't have been smiling had it been much warmer.
I did discover through training for this that I legitimately enjoy running. Maybe not crazy-long distances all the time, but I really enjoy getting out by myself and being able to clear my head.
I did find it interesting that at the race, there were multiple people wearing a t-shirt stating "13.1 is Half of Nothing." Sorry, but it's actually HALF of a MARATHON, hence the title. Don't be ashamed. Own it or buck up and train for the full 26.2!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my word, I can't believe you trained and ran a half marathon while you have an infant! You're amazing!
ReplyDeleteNext time I think you should consider pushing Brooke in a BOB stroller. I ran a 1/2 marathon last year and a mom pushing a stroller was matching my pace throughout the race. That was motivation to keep going.
ReplyDeleteOooh...I REALLY want a BOB stroller. I thought they were overrated and overpriced, then I pushed my friend's TWINS in one with one hand. Amazing! But who says there'll be a next time? Haha.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't even run a mile in high school. :)
ReplyDelete