
Overheard at our house recently:
Me: I think I'd like to get some photos of Brooke.
Matt: You have. Our computer is full of photos of Brooke.
Me: I know, but it'd be nice to have some pictures of her by someone who knows what they're doing. To really capture her personality.
Matt: Okay, sure.
Me: I was thinking of going to (name of photographer). It'd probably cost about (not cheap), but their photos are AMAZING. And they get some great out-of-the-box and candid shots.
Matt: Are you kidding?!? I guess I don't get it. So we're supposed to spend THAT much to really "capture her personality" every six months? Can't we go somewhere that will take decent pictures for much less money? I mean, they may not be the best pictures in the world, but we're bound to get a couple of good ones. We can save the expensive photo shoots for bigger milestones.
Me: Fine.
This conversation is a perfect example of why I don't win many debates around our house. It's also an explanation of how we ended up at JcPenney yesterday with our coupon for a free sitting fee and free 8 x 10.
I explained to the photographer that we weren't really interested in any gimmicky photos. All I wanted was a plain white background. That didn't stop her from showing us how we could make Brooke's face the "O" in a "LOVE" picture or how we could add "vignettes" (colored edges) to some of the shots to show us how "fun" they could look. The best one was a digitally added cartoon fairy sitting on Brooke's nose. Um...no thanks. No offense if you like pictures like this, but I was just looking for some simple shots of my Little Lady at 7+ months.


I was actually pretty happy with how they turned out. Despite waiting for 30 minutes, Brooke was a little ham. We probably just caught her at a good time on a good day, but it's like she knew what to do as soon as she got in front of the camera. And, for not much money at all, we got some photos that are much better than any I could take. I also like that we got a couple with Brooke's signature tongue-action.


I did concede to a couple of baby bathtub shots, which I actually thought turned out kind of cute.



Maybe Matt will let me spring for the cool, expensive photos when she graduates college.
Matt is so predictable.
ReplyDeleteThose are cute photos! Brooke would look great with a disposable camera, though.
We did this with (to (it was a horrid experience)) Cora when she turned 1. I basically arranged the set and got similar pictures. They are cute enough. What I wanted. Well they aren't what I didn't want.
ReplyDeleteWow. A digitally added fairy? really? new depths?
Yes, Matt is predictable. But you did get a dog! So there's hope! Maybe when she graduates high school?
Brooke is obviously adorable!
love this post. love the photos! really curious about these other ones especially the fairy one. thats hilarious brooke would laugh when she got older and saw that!
ReplyDeleteMatt is very predictable. I can break him on some things, but I have to choose my battles.
ReplyDeleteI like that description, Becca, "Not what I didn't want." I may use that.
Oh, and they gave us copies of the cheesy pictures "in case we change our minds". Those will probably go in a later post...
She is so beautiful! Love these!
ReplyDeleteShe looks like such a little lady with her pretty dress on- VERY cute indeed! Even still, they can't compete with those really special K-Mart shots of you and Paul from back-in-the-day. :)
ReplyDeleteWe did the SAME thing and so have our very own JCP photos with Allie's face in the "o" of love. Not that we ordered any. She was almost 6 months old at the time and did not want to smile. But we got a few cute pictures out of it for cheap, so it worked out. I feel a little ripped off, though, that the fairy wasn't available to us.
ReplyDeleteDi, I was looking for some sweet gender-neutral coveralls, but couldn't find any. Plus, I got this dress for $2.99 - and it's a Ralph Lauren!
ReplyDeleteSarah, that's so funny. I can't imagine Allie not smiling! (And we went to the JcP in Stratford Mall if you're looking for some fairy shots).