Thursday, April 5, 2012

Miles Timothy Alley



Miles Timothy Alley was born at 9:59 am on Friday, March 30, 2012. He weighed in at a hefty (Brooke was only 6 lb, 4 oz) 7 lb, 15 oz and was 21 in long. I was due last Sunday (March 25) and at my appointment on Wednesday we scheduled an induction for Friday. After a day of intermittent but continuous contractions, I woke up at 4:30 am on Friday with contractions 7 min. apart. When I got to the hospital I was far enough along to not need pitocin. All along, I had really hoped to go into labor on my own and was happy to avoid the induction. I'll recount all the sordid details in his birth story next year, but suffice it to say that I came MUCH closer (like, 2 cm and 30 minutes) than I'd planned to having a natural birth. It was nice to get to the hospital at 7 am and have a baby by 10. And pushing for 15 minutes did wonders for his head shape.


***For future reference, two things that Miles' birth might indicate about him: 1) He does things on his own terms and 2) Once he makes up his mind, he's in a hurry.***

We (I) waited until he was born to decide on his official name. Not really sure what I was looking for, but I just have issues with committing to a name before I see the baby. Miles was on the short list and Matt's loved it for a few months now. We should probably look up what it means at some point...Brooke's too, for that matter.


As of now, Brooke is doing a really great job with him. She likes to bring him toys and his pacifier and is very protective of him. She was worried when a nurse at the hospital was taking him to the nursery for a test ("Oh no! He taking Baby Miles!"). She was also ready to throw down with her cousin when he crawled over to look at Miles ("Oh no! He going to get my brother!").


So, we are officially a family of four. (*Plus a dog. I feel bad leaving Oz out - he's already fallen so low on the totem pole around here.) I'll keep you posted on the adjustment, but so far, so good. I also have a ton of other posts to write about my family being up here and all of our hospital visitors. But right now, I'm going to take advantage of two sleeping kids and nap myself.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats y'all!

    (I'm terrified of having this baby at home or on the side of the road let alone without meds. I did natural once, I don't want to do that again!)

    He's adorable and he has a great name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is beautiful jaimie. I love the picture of Brooke & Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to show mom and dad these pictures they say Congrats and to tell you, you have a beautiful family. Mom also said "Jaimie looks great... She makes me sick" lol...

    ReplyDelete