We took our annual (see here and here) family vacation, just the four of us, to South Haven, MI, last week. We started out with a trip to the grocery store.
On the bright side, it wasn't miserably hot like last year, but we also had a couple of chilly/cloudy/rainy days. It was okay, though. We found ways to stay busy. Like blueberry picking.
We were having a lot of fun and at one point, I made the comment to Matt, "This is so nice and quiet. I'm surprised there aren't more people out here." Cue the girl who worked at the orchard (I guess that's what it's called?): "Excuse me, these rows aren't open for picking yet." We made our way several rows over where there were tons of people. Oops. In my defense, I'm a Rule Follower, so if they had been more clear about the rules, we wouldn't have gone rogue. But we also wouldn't have had as much fun.
We made a dozen blueberry muffins when we got back to Wheaton and Brooke was not impressed with how they tasted. Guess what I'll be having for breakfast for the next week?
Then, we ventured to Saugatuk for lunch and a ferry ride. I have many friends who have raved about Saugatuk and it didn't disappoint. I'd like to go back sans hubby and kids to enjoy the shopping, though.
One of the highlights of the trip for me is always eating most of our meals out. I gave Miles an onion from my salad one night to see what he would do and he immediately put it on his wrist like a bracelet. Maybe too much time spent with mommy and sissy getting ready?
Miles also got his first taste of root beer and now anytime Matt has a beer bottle, he thinks he deserves a drink.
There was a pool at the condo where we stayed. Matt got in with Brooke one day, but thanks to the miracle of the Puddle Jumper, we were mostly able to watch her from the deck (did I mention it was chilly?).
Matt and Miles waiting for Brooke and me to finish shopping. Poor Miles has been cutting teeth for over a week, hence the runny nose.
File this under, "Things Not to Put on Parent of the Year Application": we took the kids to a wine tasting. In our defense, the sign very clearly said, "Children welcome" and they had a bunch of sparkling juices that Brooke got to try. Blueberry was her favorite.
Miles is really into full-on mouth kissing lately and I can't get enough.
Brooke got WAY more sweets than she should have. Our first night back home, she asked, "When are we going out for ice cream?"
One of our favorite places in South Haven is Kids Corner. I think we like it more than the kids. I have visions of us taking them there as teenagers and forcing them to climb on the apparatus to we can get some pictures.
With that amazing structure, Brooke's favorite thing about the park was the old school metal slide. She would've gone up and down it all day.
We did get to spend a day and a half at the beach and all had a really great time. The weather on those days was perfect. (I'm realizing now that I should have cropped some of these pictures. Sorry.)
"Hey, take a picture of me." Literally what he said before I took this.
Annual photo shoot by the South Haven sign.
We couldn't get Miles to stay standing for a picture. He has too much fun "bonking" onto the ground.
It was a great trip, as usual, and so great to spend uninterrupted family time. We did have one minor snafu as we were getting off the highway a few miles from home.
We already can't wait to go back next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment