Brooke had a great time with Lexi, Grandma, Taylor, Gigi and Grandpa Charlie in Branson the week before last, and Miles and I were excited to meet her in St. Louis that Wednesday. Matt had a bunch of golf plans, so we decided to stay for the week and get some solid visiting in, including seeing friends we don't have time to see on our shorter visits.
We went to Krissi's aunt's pool on Thursday and I was able to have dinner with my friends from OT school. While I was out, Krissi took the kids to a fireworks display (at a nursing home? Apparently that's fairly common down there?).
All that day, I had noticed that Miles' eyes seemed a little irritated, and in the back of my mind thought, "I hope that's not pink eye." Then he woke up with his eyes almost gunked shut on Friday and I knew that it was. So, we went to visit our friends at Urgent Care down there. Seriously, I feel like we deserve a "frequent visitor" card - or at least a first name greeting when we walk in. We got our diagnosis and eye drops (nearly impossible to give to a 15-month old, btw) and headed back to Tim and Krissi's. We tried to be diligent about keeping the kids out of Miles' face and washing hands, but the damage had kind of already been done. Again, SO sorry, guys!
We then headed over to my parents' pool where the kids had a great time playing.
Look at what Krissi did to Brooke's hair! Maybe someday I'll venture away from the standard pig-and ponytails. But then I see it fall out after an hour (her hair is VERY fine) and think, "Pigtails are great!"
That night, a friend of Krissi's daughter was starring in a production of "The Sound of Music," so we took the girls. It was Brooke's first grown-up musical and she did a really good job. Although she did whisper, "How many more songs?" to me about 10 times.
The next day, Luke and I both woke up gunky. We were supposed to see Amy and her kids, but she was wise and decided to stay away. We had fun hanging out at the house. The girls played doctor with me. Forget drops, a band aid can fix anything!
Side note: I'm not sure if it was just this particular strand, but pink eye is BRUTAL. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but this lasted in Miles and me for almost a week. It was painful, itchy and just gross.
After cancelling plans with several other friends that I was excited to catch up with, we pretty much hunkered down at either Tim and Krissi's or my parents. Lexi and Tim also got it, and Brooke got it the day we headed home. Thankfully, hers was gone within a day.
My best effort at a decent group shot.
I mean, if they've both already got it....
We did get a trip to Target in the day before we left. Why we thought taking all 4 kids to the store was a good idea, I'm not sure...
Like all the kids do, Miles loved Prowler. He even started saying his variation of "Meow, Meow" when Prowler would come in the room.
The band aids on her shoulder are for a little sunburn she had. She insisted they would help.
Miles also got in some cuddles in with Gigi.
It wasn't quite the trip that I was hoping for, but as always, it was great to spend time with my family. And I'm happy to report that we all have clear eyes up here, although I intended to keep using the drops until they run out.
Clear eyes
ReplyDeleteFull hearts
Can't lose