Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Two Years Old


Brooke,

I'm overwhelmed as I sit here trying to come up with what I want to say to you on your second birthday. Thanks to you, the past two years have been the most fun, exciting, challenging and rewarding two years of my life. Your enthusiasm is contagious and I wake up every morning genuinely excited to see you and hear what you have to say.

The baby that I was concerned would never walk now runs everywhere with purpose. One of your favorite places to play is on the "tamp-o-ine". You've chunked up and are now well above the 50th percentile in height and weight. You still enjoy a wide variety of foods and sleep about 12 hours a night with a 2 hour afternoon nap.

I'm told almost daily how impressive your verbal skills are. You speak in sentences and we have legitimate conversations (granted, much of your input is asking, "Why?" or "Wha happen?" to whatever I'm saying). And your singing! I think you know the words to more songs than your dad does. You get that from me and I get it from your Papa T. It also doesn't hurt that I work at a preschool and am used to singing 50% of my day.

You're very social but can also be very shy and opinionated. There are times that you want no one but me and I'm usually okay with that, although I wish you'd be nicer to the person you're rejecting. You ask about your "friends" and family all the time ("Where 'Letsi'"? "Where Untle Mite doe?"). You can be selfish and possessive, but I think that comes with the territory of being two and an only child. And a human, for that matter. You can also be very sensitive and kind-hearted. One of your most heartfelt cries was when I scowled at you and firmly said, "No." If only it could always be that easy...

Your daddy and I love you fully and unconditionally. Every part of you. We pray for you and give thanks for you every day. We're honored that God chose us to be your parents and we can't wait to see the Little Lady that you continue to become.

Happy Birthday, Brookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment