Monday, July 20, 2015

Spotlight Camp


Every season, I get a little overwhelmed when deciding what to sign the kids up for and what to pass on. I had originally signed Brooke up for a "Safety City" camp that was to take place a couple of weeks ago, but then found out about a summer camp that Spotlight was sponsoring that same week. Wanting to take her opinion into account, I gave Brooke the option and she enthusiastically chose the theater camp. I was hesitant to send her only because the camp was from 9-3 and she's my baby. But then I was honest with myself and realized that she hasn't been napping for years and certainly has a flair for the theatrical. So, off to Spotlight camp it was.


The week really couldn't have gone much better for her. She loved the themed days (Crazy Hair day - one benefit to her having such fine, short hair; Color Day; Princess and Pirate Day) and loved taking her lunch and buying a snack there. Kali also signed up to go, but was sick the last two days. When Brooke was still excited to go without Kali, I knew she was having a great time.


In the meantime, these two (and I!) had to figure out how to make things work without Brooke around. Let's be honest - she can be bossy and opinionated and certainly runs things where Miles is concerned. Usually by lunchtime, Miles was asking if we could go pick her up yet. We still had a lot of fun and it was a good little taste of how things will be when she goes to first grade. It also made me very grateful that I don't have to send her to full day kindergarten.


On the last day, the camp put on a little performance where each kid got a couple of lines and a solo.



Brooke's team did a mini-performance and the older kids had a longer show. She was SUPER excited and seemed to be having a great time. I was so proud of her and happy for her.


My friend Joy brought her kids, Tye and Olivia. Tye brought her a flower (oops, should have thought of that). Olivia does the real Spotlight shows. Maybe someday they'll be in one together...


Aunt Jamie and Grandpa Brian were also there to cheer her on.


Matt was at Will's bachelor party, so he couldn't make it and Miles wasn't interested in sitting for a picture after he'd been sitting for half an hour watching a play. And as usual, Paige wasn't impressed.


It was such a great day and I'm so happy that we found Spotlight. Here are Brooke's biggest lines and her solo. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment