Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Kids


 

It's been a little while since I've given a general update, so here goes. Miles continues to army-crawl everywhere, which has posed some problems with keeping his pants on. He's in 12-18 month stuff lengthwise, but ends up wiggling out of several of his pairs of pants that are a little loose in the waist. The army-crawling thing is a little bafffling to me. He'll get up on all fours when he's looking at things, but as soon as he's ready to move, he'll flatten out his tummy. If I learned anything with Brooke, it's not to sweat the milestones, so I'm having fun watching him do his weird crawl.


He's also pulling up on things and doing a little cruising along furniture. I've already had to do more baby-proofing than I ever did with Brooke (which still isn't a ton). He's all about going for the stairs and sharp corners. Then he'll give me this look. Stinker.


He's in the process of cutting 6 new teeth - 4 molars and 2 front, bottom teeth. He's a little clingier, but still not bad. He's still napping twice a day when we're home for a total of several hours. He's kind of "over" baby food. He'll take it from pouches, but is much more into finger foods. And he really likes things in bigger pieces that he can bite off. French toast sticks are a favorite. We're transitioning from bottle to sippy cup at bedtime and in the morning. He's not drinking as much milk, but doesn't seem bothered by the change.


He's talking more, saying "ma" for more, "hi" and "bye", he's also saying "mama" and "dada", but not super-consistently. "Oz" is still a favorite, too. Mostly, though, he points and grunts when he wants things. His favorite toy by far is his little basketball hoop. He'll spend maybe 10 minutes at a time putting balls through the hoop.


He loves his sister, loves to flirt, and has become quite fond of our neighbor, Jill. He does not like dogs licking his face. Can you blame him?


And this little lady is in full-on "3's Questioning" mode. I probably answer 200 questions a day, which I'll take over the tantrums anytime. Not that the tantrums have stopped, but they *seem* to be getting a little better (knock on wood). And the questions, while sometimes exhausting, are actually fun. Have you ever thought of how to explain the words "probably" or "maybe" without using those words? It's kind of tricky.


It's also been fun to see her putting things that she's learned at school or church into practice. We had some great discussions about the meaning of Easter that really caused me to step up my praying for her tender little heart, as well as for wisdom in talking to her. Her Toddler Bible that she got for Easter is her new favorite book and it's been fun going through the Bible with her (AND not having to read Princess stories every night!). She's also been doing some basic addition and subtraction. And while we were in Florida, she mentioned missing both school and ballet, which I took to be good signs. And kind of sent me into a panic about how we're going to stay busy this summer, but I'm sure we'll manage.



No comments:

Post a Comment