It's happened. We've entered "Witching Hour" territory. It usually starts around 5:30, or as soon as I head into the kitchen to start getting dinner ready (Yes, we've become early eaters. Judge if you must, I sure used to.) It can entail stomping, crying, leg-clutching, etc. All for no explicable reason, except that I'm in the kitchen and unable to give her my undivided attention. I blame it on the sixth sense that kids seem to have...and the fact that she's two.
About a month ago, it dawned on me to have her "help" me make dinner. This obviously lends itself better to some meals than others. And considering my husband's refined palate and my extensive culinary expertise, it's taken some creativity. Salads are a favorite of hers to make. And the other night while Matt was out of town she and I made pizza. Worst case, I give her the pint of blueberries and raspberries and have her make fruit salad. I'm just happy to have found something that seems to distract her - for now.
And I've also been able to parlay this into other times of day. She's really into helping with the laundry. She's *this* close to folding better than Matt already. She's also still into cleaning. If I give her a disinfecting wipe, she can stay busy for quite awhile. I'm not advocating child labor, but I do value effeciency. Clean house + tired toddler = happy mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment