For as long as Brooke has talked about her 6th birthday party, she's talked about wanting to have a "camping" party. I'm not sure where this came from, although I think it might be because anytime she mentions camping, Matt and I tell her it will never happen with us and that she'd better make some friends who like camping. At any rate, I was actually pretty excited about the theme as it was unique and lent itself to some fun activities. We had to have it almost two weeks after her birthday due to our crazy October. I was nervous about the weather, but it turned out to be a pretty nice afternoon/evening.
Although there are 26 kids in Brooke's class, only 10 of them are girls, which made it easy to invite everyone. She also invited Kate, one of her best friends from preschool/kindergarten enrichment, and Mati and Lexi. We ended up with 9 girls, including Brooke. It turned out to be a pretty good number and all the girls were very sweet. When the girls arrived, they decorated a camouflage mini-backpack that served as their goody bag. Next, we went on a "hike" in the "woods" near our house. These woods are maybe 100 sq yards, but the girls were excited about the adventure. They took nature scavenger hunts and their binoculars and mini-flashlights (also part of the goody bag) with them.
When we got back to the house, the girls worked on a sticker tree craft and beaded bracelets in a tent that we'd borrowed from our friends and set up in the backyard. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that. I didn't take a ton of pictures as I was busy making sure everyone was safe and happy. Miles had fun barging into the tent and terrorizing the girls at one point.
The girls then came back in for a hot dog, mac n cheese, and fruit dinner. Then they sang about 20 versions of silly birthday songs and Brooke blew out her candle.
Along with the camping theme, Brooke had also really wanted a pinata. I explained to her that a pinata didn't really work with a camping theme, but was excited to find that they actually do make a pinata in the shape of a tent. We got it and surprised Brooke with it the day of the party.
We ended the night singing campfire songs (like "Let It Go"?) and roasting marshmallows. It was a bit chaotic at times, but the girls seemed to have fun and Brooke felt as special as she is.
What a creative party theme!
ReplyDelete