Brooke's class has a program called "Star of the Day" in which each student has a special day in which they bring in a posterboard of pictures of themselves, the snack, a book, and their parents can come and spend the day. Brooke had been so excited about her turn that for about 5 days leading up to that day, she would ask when it was going to be Monday.
She chose double-stuffed, half-vanilla, half-chocolate Oreos as her snack. During snack, one kid asked what an Oreo was and at least two told me they weren't allowed to have them at their house. We like to set the bar high. Another huge perk of being "Star for the Day" is that you get to be the weather and calendar helper for the WHOLE WEEK. Exciting stuff.
Going into the project, I knew there was potential to be overwhelmed by which pictures to choose (you're allowed a maximum of 10), so I asked Brooke what things she wanted to show pictures of. She chose: her as a baby, a picture of her in the Two's class at preschool, a picture of her and Kali, her and Lexi, her and Zach, a picture from St. Louis, a picture of our family, a picture of her meeting Paige, a picture of when she got her "boo boo" (forehead cut), and a picture of her at Disney.
Quick sidenote: I'd printed out the picture of her and Matt on the roller coaster (below) and she pointed to the guy behind her and Matt and said, "Is that Uncle Tim...or no?" Still cracks me up every time I think about it.
She did a great job explaining each of the pictures (with her teacher's help) and it was so sweet to see her classmates genuinely interested in her presentation.
Afterward, the kids could ask her questions and got to tell what they learned about Brooke. She called on all girls (and Kali first) each time.
After her presentation, Matt read the book she had chosen to the class. She chose "The Book with No Pictures" and it was a huge hit. The kids were rolling. I know it's not a competition, but between that and the Oreos, I have to think her Day was one of the more successful ones.
Matt left for work after the book, but I spent the rest of the day with her. It was a really great one!
uncle Tim...that cracks me up!
ReplyDelete