Sunday, June 17, 2012
Take Me Out to the Ballgame
The same weekend that we took Brooke on the train, the White Sox happened to be playing a 3 pm game on a Saturday with beautiful weather predicted. Apparently that was our weekend to be fun, relatively spontaneous parents because we decided to take the kids after getting tickets around 1 pm that day. Matt was a little more excited than I was. It was Brooke's first game (in the middle of her naptime), we were going to have to take Miles in the Baby Bjorn (he had yet to be in it for an extended period), and I'm just generally not good with spur-of-the-moment activities. I like to plan, worry, trouble-shoot, then plan some more.
However, this might have been the most fun I've had with Matt at a White Sox game. He wasn't super-stressed about getting there in time to see the World Series video, we were allowed to pay to park in the regular lot instead of looking for a bargain spot, walked at a somewhat leisurely pace to the field, and he wasn't so engrossed in the game that I felt bad talking to him. Our seats were amazing and cheap (5 rows behind 1st base), but also in a very crowded section. I found myself wanting to "shhh" the man behind me who kept whistling and waking Miles up. Brooke was also really wanting to see Southpaw, so around the 4th inning we headed to the landing where we saw Southpaw taking photos with kids...except that he stops doing that after the 3rd inning. So, we looked for Southpaw for an inning or so before settling into a section that was much less crowded and where Brooke could move around a little without spilling someone's drink.
She liked seeing all the things we read about in her White Sox book (of course we have one). We had a great time the rest of the game even though we ended up not getting to see Southpaw at all up close (he takes the 8th and 9th innings off - seriously? He only works for 3 hours a few days a week.) Now anytime we talk about going to the White Sox game, Brooke says, "And we're going to see Southpaw right away, right?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment