We're pretty big sports fans here in the Alley household. I think Matt would have a constant stream of ESPN in the background if he could, and I was raised in a pretty sports-minded family as well, so I understand and at times even enjoy his mania. There are some teams that I would say have us as pretty die hard fans. Matt's always loved the Bears. I developed a crush on a Kansas basketball player when I was in high school and the allegiance has stuck. Baseball's a little more interesting. I must admit that I've been converted to a White Sox fan, but we both consider the Cardinals our #2. This works out pretty well because we both hate the Cubs and will only have to root against one of the teams if Sox and Cards face each other in the World Series. It's not looking like we're going to have to worry about that this year.
This brings me to my next point. Since we've been together, hockey has not been a go-to sport for us. Sure, we've been to a Hawks game or a Blues game on occasion, but we didn't really pay a ton of attention to the NHL (Matt's going to argue with me on this, but until he takes some ownership of this blog, my opinion is the one that matters). However, now that the Blackhawks are in the playoffs, we (by "we", I mostly mean Matt) are all about it. Last Saturday, we had some people over to watch the game. Brooke had fun hanging out with Uncle Mike and Aunt Jane before the game started.
It turned out to be a brutal game that thankfully Brooke was asleep for, but they redeemed themselves Monday night. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'm a fair-weather fan who's hopping on the bandwagon. Go Hawks!
(There are some legitimate Hawks fans in Matt's family. Here's a picture of Brooke getting her first Hawks jersey for Christmas.)
OH MY GOSH! I had the same crush and would watch KU basketball just for that reason. hahaha. You, me and lots of other high school girls I'm sure!!!
ReplyDeleteAlthough, my allegiance hasn't stuck. I think it collapsed with Roy left.
Um and what's wrong with you!!! The Cardinals are number 2? *shakes head* Oh Jaimie... *shakes head* At least it's not the cubs. I guess the White Sox are all right.
I knew I was going to get some trouble for making that statement about the Cards. You have no idea the peer pressure up here!
ReplyDeleteComing from Missouri, St. Louis to be exact how could you be a Kansas fan? I HATE the Jayhawks. That may have more to do with where I went to college though.
ReplyDeleteI'm a fair weather hockey fan too, but the Caps have done really well this year until they choked in the playoffs.
Soon I'll be a Northwestern fan.