Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Staying Busy in January
Ah, January. Is there anyone who legitimately likes this month? The holidays are over, it's always cold and usually snowy without there really being an end in sight, and I think that people's immune systems can sense the hopelessness and often give in as well. That being said, we're trying to stay busy despite the bleak conditions outside. Last week, just the kids and I went to the DuPage Children's Museum. We've been there many times (we have a membership), but never just the three of us and never on a day that wasn't crowded. I think that we all had a really good time.
It's fun to see the kids beginning to play together.
Then, last Friday, we took advantage of the Museum of Science and Industry's free Illinois resident days and went down to check it out with Katie and her kids.
Having never been there before, we made some key strategical errors in which exhibits we checked out first, but the kids still seemed to enjoy themselves.
Brooke did make the comment that it wasn't really a "girl" museum. I think we spent too much time on the trains and tractors for her liking.
I've also decided that elementary school field trips bring out my Bad Attitude. I know that it's hard to control all those kids and they're usually being led by someone who isn't even a teacher, but still, is it too much to ask that they take turns with the toddlers who are trying to play, too?
Brooke wanted to bring a little style to the MSI by sporting her new shades from Grammie Deb.
This is Miles' response to any request to share lately. You'd think as the second child, he'd be better at it by now. Human nature at it's finest, I suppose.
Speaking of weakened immune systems, mine decided to take a couple days off last week and I had a pretty nasty cold/flu thing. The kids both caught it, but theirs didn't last as long. Now we're all just dealing with the standard Winter Runny Nose/Cough. Here they are on doing "art" on one of our sick days. And before I get an influx of comments about the fun art projects I have going here, don't worry - my "Crafty Mom" blog is in the works.
Look at those Sick Eyes. Poor thing.
I mentioned this in a previous post, but moving our gross motor toys to the basement and the addition of the roller coaster from Grandma Audie has also done wonders in passing the time. Matt calls the roller coaster the "perfect toy" as it's easy set-up and pretty easy for the kids to do on their own. Miles still needs a little help to get going, but it's nothing intensive.
He loves his basketball hoop.
We also visited Matt at work the other day and the kids enjoyed feeding and watching the fish. Miles only tried to catch a couple.
Brooke started soccer and ballet (ballet pics to come). I really want her to love soccer like I did, but I'm not sure if it's in the cards. At this practice, she laid down on the ground with her head on the ball at least twice. She also commented that they "run around too much". I guess we'll see...
And let's be honest, we've also been watching (more than?) our fair share of movies and TV. Is it spring yet???
On the bright side (pun intended), my next post will hopefully be about the trip for Disney that we're leaving for this weekend. Don't tell Brooke - it's a surprise!
Happy January!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How cool is that roller coaster!? H starts soccer this spring..I am way excited!!!
ReplyDelete